Avocado-Strawberry Salad with Toasted Pine Nuts
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 ripe avocado, preferably Hass variety, peeled, pitted, and cut into chunks
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime
- 1cup (heaping) strawberries, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, walnut oil or hazelnut oil
- 2tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 2teaspoons honey
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2cups bite-sized pieces arugula or watercress
- 2tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- Combine avocado with lemon juice in a large nonreactive bowl. Add berries, oil, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper and combine well. Divide salad greens among 4 plates. Top with avocado mixture and pine nuts.
Reprinted with permission from Steven Petusevsky’s American Diabetes Association Vegetarian Cookbook (American Diabetes Association, forthcoming).