Fried Guacamole Bonbons
- Guacamole Bonbons
- 3 avocados, pitted and peeled
- 3tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 Roma (plum) tomato, diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 1/2 limes, juiced
- 1teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- Bonbon Coating:
- 1/2cup ground tortilla chips
- 1/4cup yellow cornmeal
- 1teaspoon chili powder
- 1teaspoon garlic powder
- 1teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 eggs
- For Frying:
- canola oil (for deep fry)
- Kosher salt
- limes, for squeezing (optional)
- crumbled cotija cheese (optional)
- Make the guacamole bonbons: Mash the avocados in a bowl, making sure to leave some chunks. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the cilantro, onion, tomato, jalapeño, lime juice, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon the guacamole into a silicone hemisphere mold, wrap with plastic wrap, and freeze for at least 1 hour. If you don’t have a silicone mold, use a tablespoon to scoop the guacamole into balls onto a baking sheet lined with wax paper, wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze.
- Set up the coating: Mix the ground tortilla chips, cornmeal, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin in a bowl. Crack the eggs into another bowl and beat.
- In a deep fryer or a deep heavy-bottomed pan with at least 2 inches of oil, preheat your fry oil to 375˚F.
- Dredge the frozen guacamole bites in the egg and then in the tortilla chip mixture. Lower into the hot oil using a skimmer or heat-resistant slotted spoon, and fry until browned and crispy, about 3 minutes. Drain well on paper towels and season with salt, and an optional squeeze of lime juice and a crumble of cotija cheese. Serve hot.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Pornburger: Hot Buns and Juicy Beefcakes © 2016 by Mathew Ramsey, HarperCollins.