Avocado and Parmesan Pita Sandwich
- Yield 4 pieces
These whole wheat pita pockets are great for an easy lunch on the run or an anytime snack.
For a vegan variation, substitute vegan ingredients for the pita pockets, mayonnaise, and parmesan cheese. Alfalfa sprouts can add an extra crunch to your sandwich.
- 2 whole wheat pita pockets
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 ripe sliced peeled avocados, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 minced red onion
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- Freshly ground black pepper (optional)
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- Halve pita pouches crosswise. Open them carefully and spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise into each pocket.
- Spoon in avocado wedges, dividing wedges among all four pouches.
- Sprinkle minced onion liberally over avocados, then divide diced pepper among pouches.
- Finish with pepper to taste (if using) and 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese sprinkled over each pita filling.
From the book The Cheesy Vegan by John Schlimm. Reprinted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong. Copyright 2013.