Autumn Pasta Carbonara
- Yield: 6 servings
Fresh rosemary, thyme and crushed red pepper complete this seasonal pasta supper, which celebrates fall’s fabulous produce.
- 1 1/2cups pumpkin, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Olive oil
- 1pound penne pasta
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1cup spinach, chopped
- 1/2cup nonfat milk
- 3ounces Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1pinch fresh rosemary
- 1pinch fresh thyme
- 1teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Toss the pumpkin pieces in a little olive oil. Spread onto a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until pumpkin flesh is tender when poked with a fork.
- Place a medium-large pot of salted water on the stove over medium-high heat. Cook the penne according to package directions, or until al dente.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and mushrooms to the skillet and cook 3-5 minutes, or until the mushrooms and garlic begin to brown. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, for about 4 minutes, or until the spinach has wilted.
- Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil, as well as the milk, and stir until the oil and milk are incorporated. Add the roasted pumpkin pieces and grated Parmesan, toss, and reduce the heat to simmer.
- Season with the fresh rosemary, thyme, red pepper flakes and salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked penne. Toss until the penne is coated in the spices and well integrated with the mushrooms, pumpkin and spinach.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 394
- Fat 10g
- Saturated Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 13mg
- Sodium 235mg
- Potassium 451mg
- Carbohydrate 65g
- Fiber 13g
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 13g