Autumn Greens, Poached Cranberries, Walnuts and Asian Pears
- Yield 4 servings
A ginger ale vinaigrette adds pizzazz to this salad of autumn’s hearty greens and sweet, crunchy Asian pears.
- Ginger Ale Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup jarred chutney (mango, apple or any variety)
- 1 cup ginger ale
- 2 tablespoons raspberry or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon walnut or extra-virgin olive oil
- -- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
- Autumn Salad:
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1 cup waer, ginger ale or apple juice
- 1 -- cinnamon stick
- 1 -- (4-ounce) bag field greens
- 1 medium Asian apple pear, unpeeled, cored and chopped
- -- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup walnuts, lightly toasted*
- 2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese, for garish
- To make vinaigrette: Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
- To make salad: Place cranberries, water and cinnamon stick in a nonreactive small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes until cranberries pop and soften. Remove from stove and let cool.
- When ready to serve, place field greens in a large mixing bowl. Toss apple pear with lemon juice to prevent browning and add to the greens. Add cranberries and their liquid, walnuts and vinaigrette. Toss well and top with goat cheese.
*To toast nuts: Place nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast in a 375-degree oven about 10 minutes, shaking pan periodically to turn nuts, until nuts are golden and fragrant. Or place in a dry skillet over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often.