- Yield 6 servings
When the markets are full of winter squash, make this hearty butternut soup.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 to 2 1/2 pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 5 to 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ginger, or to taste
- 1 small apple, chopped, for garnish
- 6 tablespoons sour cream, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the carrots, onion and celery and saute until tender. Stir in the squash, potatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 40 minutes. Stir int he curry powder, nutmeg and ginger and remove from the heat.
- Puree the soup in small batches in a food processor or blender. Return to the saucepan and reheat gently. Add more chicken broth if the soup is too thick. Ladle into 6 bowls. Garnish with chopped apple and sour cream.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Las Vegas' Las Vegas Glitter to Gourmet (Junior League of Las Vegas, 2001)