- Yield: 6 servings
- 2tablespoons butter
- 2medium carrots, peeled, sliced
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 1stalk celery, chopped
- 2 to 2 1/2pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cubed
- 2large potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 5 to 6cups chicken broth
- 1 to 1 1/2teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8teaspoon nutmeg, or to taste
- 1/8teaspoon ginger, or to taste
- 1small apple, chopped, for garnish
- 6tablespoons sour cream, for garnish
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the carrots, onion and celery and saute until tender. Stir in the squash, potatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer and simmer for 40 minutes. Stir int he curry powder, nutmeg and ginger and remove from the heat.
- Puree the soup in small batches in a food processor or blender. Return to the saucepan and reheat gently. Add more chicken broth if the soup is too thick. Ladle into 6 bowls. Garnish with chopped apple and sour cream.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Las Vegas' Las Vegas Glitter to Gourmet (Junior League of Las Vegas, 2001)