Aunt Mary’s Onion Shortcake
- Yield 6 servings
This is a great side to serve with fish or seafood.
- 2 cups buttermilk baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 small can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine baking mix and milk until soft dough forms. Set aside.
- Steam onions in butter until iridescent.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs, evaporated milk, salt and pepper.
- Press dough into greased 11×7-inch casserole; top with onions. Pour egg mixture over all.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until brown.
Recipe reprinted with permission from theAssociation of Junior Leagues International’sTidewater on the Half Shell (Norfolk, Va., 1985).