Aunt Mary’s Onion Shortcake
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2cups buttermilk baking mix
- 2/3cup milk
- 3large onions, sliced
- 2tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- 1small can evaporated milk
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Combine baking mix and milk until soft dough forms. Set aside.
- Steam onions in butter until iridescent.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs, evaporated milk, salt and pepper.
- Press dough into greased 11×7-inch casserole; top with onions. Pour egg mixture over all.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until brown.
Recipe reprinted with permission from theAssociation of Junior Leagues International’sTidewater on the Half Shell (Norfolk, Va., 1985).