Lemon Icebox Pie from Sara Foster
- Yield 10 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 18 mins
- 4 ounces gingersnap cookies, finely ground (1 cup crumbs)
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds or pecans
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Grated rind and juice of 3 lemons
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Whipped Cream Topping:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- To prepare crust, stir crumbs and almonds together in a medium bowl. Add melted butter; stir until crumbs are moistened. Pour crumbs into a 9-inch pie plate and press evenly over bottom and up sides. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until crust feels dry and firm. Let cool to room temperature before filling.
- Increase oven temperature to 350F.
- To prepare filling, stir lemon rind, juice and yolks together in medium bowl. Add condensed milk and sugar; whisk until blended.
- Pour filling into crust; bake on center rack 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Beat cream in medium bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar and beat just to combine. Top pie with whipped cream. Serve chilled.
Reprinted with permission from Fresh Every Day: More Great Recipes from Foster’s Market by Sara Foster (Clarkson Potter Publishers, 2005).