Au Gratin Potatoes and Onions
- Yield: 6 servings
Japanese panko crumbs are coarser than regular breadcrumbs. They form a great crust and have a very mild flavor. They can be found in some grocery stores and Asian markets.
- 5large baking potatoes, peeled but left whole
- 1cup shredded low-fat cheddar or Monterey jack cheese (or regular or soy-based cheese for a vegan version)
- 1medium Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
- 1cup unflavored soy milk
- 1/4cup breadcrumbs or Japanese panko crumbs
- 1teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot. Cover with salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook approximately 15 minutes. Drain and cool at least 15 minutes. (This can be done the night before assembling the casserole.) Cut the potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Lightly brush a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Layer the potatoes in the casserole. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Layer about three quarters of the onions in the dish; reserve the rest. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup cheese. Pour the soy milk over all and sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over the top of the casserole. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs, paprika, salt and pepper over the dish. Top with the remaining onions.
- Bake 30 minutes, uncovered, until the top is well browned and the potatoes are heated through.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 215
- Fat 3g
- Saturated Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 4mg
- Sodium 181mg
- Carbohydrate 39g
- Fiber 3g
- Sugars 4g
- Protein 10g