Asparagus Squash Casserole
- Yield 8 servings
This casserole stars squash and asparagus and will be the perfect take-a-long dish to your next family gathering.
- 5 or 6 -- squash, diced
- 1 -- (10-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 -- (10-ounce) can asparagus spears
- 10 -- saltine crackers, crumbled
- 5 slices (or more) American cheese
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine, cut into pieces
- 1 -- (3-ounce) can French-fried onions
- Combine the squash with enough water to cover in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil until tender; drain. Combine the soup and the milk in a bowl and mix well. Layer one-half of the squash, one-half of the asparagus, the crackers and two or more slices of cheese in a 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Continue layering the remaining squash, the remaining asparagus, the soup mixture and three or more slices of cheese. Dot with the margarine. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the French-fried onions over the top. Bake for 10 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Newnan Junior Service League’s Simply Southern(Newnan, Georgia, 2008).