- Yield: 6 servings
- Cook: 60 minutes
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2tablespoons butter
- 1large red potato
- 1teaspoon salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4ounces Gruyere, Emmentaler or Jarlsberg cheese, grated
- 8 asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1/3cup chopped Vidalia onion
- 5 eggs
- 3/4cup half and half
- 3/4cup 2 percent reduced fat milk
- 1/2cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 3dashes Tabasco or other hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly coat a deep-dish pie pan with nonstick cooking spray
- Melt butter in a large sauté pan.
- Peel and slice potato into very thin slices (a mandoline works well). Place potato slices in overlapping circles in the bottom of pie pan. Brush a little of the melted butter on top. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and a little pepper over top. Place in oven and cook 15 minutes, or until potatoes are lightly browned and tender. Remove from oven.
- Meanwhile, place asparagus and onion in sauté pan with butter. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and a little pepper and cook about 7 minutes, until tender-crisp.
- Spread Gruyere over potatoes. Place asparagus and onions over Gruyere.
- Whisk together eggs, half-and-half, milk, all but 1 tablespoon of the Parmigiano Reggiano, hot sauce and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pour over vegetables in pie pan. Sprinkle remaining Parmigiano Reggiano on top. Place in oven and bake about 35 minutes, until puffed and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.