Asparagus and Parmesan Tart
- Yield 8 servings
With the help of puff pastry, this asparagus tart can be made in a flash.
Look for puff pastry in the freezer aisle. Serve with a simple salad of field greens with a bright vinaigrette or a mixed fruit salad.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 4- to 5-inch pieces
- 1 (14-ounce) sheet puff pastry, defrosted if frozen (we like Dufour brand)
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg yolk mixed with 1/2 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan. Add shallot and sauté about 1 minute. Add asparagus and cook over medium-high heat until asparagus is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Roll out pastry to a 10 x 16-inch rectangle on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper. Transfer pastry and paper to a baking sheet.
- Spread ricotta evenly on pastry, leaving a 1-inch border around the edge. Spoon asparagus mixture evenly over ricotta. Sprinkle cheese over all. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Brush edge of the tart with egg and water mixture. Bake until pastry is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve warm. Cut into 8 (4 x 5-inch) pieces.
Recipe by Robin Mather.