Asian Vegetable and Mushroom Soup
- Yield 16 servings
This soup is full of pasta and mushrooms making it a hearty dish.
- 3/4 cup orzo pasta
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 cups sliced fresh button mushrooms
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 3 (14.5-ounce) cans reduced fat and low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped baby carrots
- 1 cup chopped red peppers
- 1/2 cup fresh snow pea pods, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cook orzo pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in medium sauté pan over high heat. Add a single layer of mushrooms and onions. Leave the mushrooms alone as they sauté – be patient as they turn red-brown – then turn and sauté until second side turns similar color. Season to taste and set aside in bowl.
- Combine chicken broth and soy sauce in large saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat. Add carrots and simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes. Stir in peppers and pea pods. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir mushroom mixture and cayenne into soup mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine water and cornstarch. Stir into soup mixture. Bring to boil, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened and clear. Add orzo pasta and serve.
Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council’s Mushroom Channel