Asian Vegetable and Mushroom Soup
- Yield 16 servings
This soup is full of pasta and mushrooms making it a hearty dish.
- 3/4 cup orzo pasta
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 cups sliced fresh button mushrooms
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 3 -- (14.5-ounce) cans reduced fat and low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped baby carrots
- 1 cup chopped red peppers
- 1/2 cup fresh snow pea pods, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Cook orzo pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Heat sesame oil in medium sauté pan over high heat. Add a single layer of mushrooms and onions. Leave the mushrooms alone as they sauté – be patient as they turn red-brown – then turn and sauté until second side turns similar color. Season to taste and set aside in bowl.
- Combine chicken broth and soy sauce in large saucepan. Bring to boil over medium heat. Add carrots and simmer, uncovered, 2 minutes. Stir in peppers and pea pods. Simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir mushroom mixture and cayenne into soup mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine water and cornstarch. Stir into soup mixture. Bring to boil, stirring frequently, until slightly thickened and clear. Add orzo pasta and serve.