Asian Tuna Tacos
- Yield Makes 8-12 servings
In this dish, tuna steaks are seared with a sesame seed crust and served with a wasabi mayonnaise,chopped scallions, and cilantro, all in a flour tortilla.
- For the wasabi mayonnaise:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared wasabi, or 2 tablespoons powdered wasabi mixed with 1 teaspoon water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- For the tuna:
- 1 pound tuna steaks, about 1 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unhulled sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons mild olive oil
- Make the mayonnaise: Stir together all ingredients and taste to check seasoning.
- Prepare the tuna: Pat the tuna dry with paper towels and season with the salt.
- Put the sesame seeds on a plate and press both flat sides of the tuna steaks onto the seeds to coat.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot, about 2 minutes. Add the oil and swirl the pan to distribute, then add the tuna steaks, in batches if necessary, and sear for about 2 minutes each side, until just the outside 1⁄4 inch is cooked but the center is still translucent.
- Transfer the tuna steaks to a cutting board and slice. Make tacos with the wasabi mayonnaise and accompaniments (warm flour tortillas, chopped scallions, radish sprouts, or chopped cilantro, sliced avocado)
–From Just Tacos by Shelley Wiseman, published by The Taunton Press. Reprinted with permission from The Taunton Press.