Asian Tuna Tacos
- Yield: Makes 8-12 servings
- For the wasabi mayonnaise:
- 1/2cup mayonnaise
- 1tablespoon prepared wasabi, or 2 tablespoons powdered wasabi mixed with 1 teaspoon water
- 2teaspoons soy sauce
- 2teaspoons lime juice
- 1/2teaspoon sugar
- For the tuna:
- 1pound tuna steaks, about 1 inch thick
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup unhulled sesame seeds
- 3tablespoons mild olive oil
- Make the mayonnaise: Stir together all ingredients and taste to check seasoning.
- Prepare the tuna: Pat the tuna dry with paper towels and season with the salt.
- Put the sesame seeds on a plate and press both flat sides of the tuna steaks onto the seeds to coat.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot, about 2 minutes. Add the oil and swirl the pan to distribute, then add the tuna steaks, in batches if necessary, and sear for about 2 minutes each side, until just the outside 1⁄4 inch is cooked but the center is still translucent.
- Transfer the tuna steaks to a cutting board and slice. Make tacos with the wasabi mayonnaise and accompaniments (warm flour tortillas, chopped scallions, radish sprouts, or chopped cilantro, sliced avocado)
–From Just Tacos by Shelley Wiseman, published by The Taunton Press. Reprinted with permission from The Taunton Press.