Asian Tofu Wraps
- Yield 4 servings
Tofu is pressed, seasoned and baked in the oven to complement the crisp Boston bibb lettuce in these hearty tortilla wraps.
- 1 -- (14-ounce) package extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari or soy sauce, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 -- bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 -- (5-ounce) can water chestnuts, sliced in half
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon white cooking wine, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili oil, or to taste
- 6 -- scallions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 4 large Boston bibb lettuce leaves
- 4 -- whole grain tortillas
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, as garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- After pressing the tofu, cut the block into 8 slices and coat the pieces in tamari or soy sauce to taste. Place the seasoned tofu pieces on a baking sheet, and bake for 15 minutes, flip with a spatula, and bake on the other side for another 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tofu reaches desired consistency.
- Place the olive oil and sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bell pepper, carrots and water chestnuts to the skillet. Season with the garlic, ginger and white wine and chili oil to taste. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the vegetables become soft. Stir in the chopped scallions and cilantro.
- Put a separate skillet on the stove over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the skillet and cook 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until the tortilla becomes soft and easily foldable. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- To assemble the Asian Tofu Wraps, divide the veggie mixture in 4 equal parts onto the softened tortillas. Top with a large lettuce leaf on each wrap and the slices of tofu on top of the lettuce. Taste for seasoning and adjust with more chili oil, soy sauce or sesame seeds if desired. Fold like a burrito and enjoy.