Asian Steak and Spinach Salad
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2pound baby spinach
- 4tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 2tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1teaspoon brown sugar
- 1tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 sweet red onion, cut into 1/4-inch-thick half-moons
- 1/2pound sirloin steak
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1-2tablespoon chopped unsalted peanuts, for garnish
- Wash and dry spinach. Place in large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, lime juice, brown sugar and soy sauce; set aside.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Place hot onions on top of spinach.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Sear the steak until medium-rare, about 3 minutes per side. Remove the pan from the heat, transfer steak to a cutting board, and let it rest.
- Let the skillet cool for a few minutes. Add the soy-lime mixture to the pan and turn the heat to medium-high. Deglaze the pan by stirring constantly and loosening any bits of steak that cling to the bottom. Reduce the heat to low to keep sauce warm.
- Slice the meat as thin as possible, cutting against the grain. Arrange meat slices over onion and spinach. Drizzle with the warm sauce and sprinkle with cilantro and peanuts. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Chef Cat Cora
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 242
- Fat 17g
- Cholesterol 24mg
- Sodium 332mg
- Carbohydrate 8g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 15g