Asian Hot and Sour Slaw
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 1tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 1/2teaspoon sesame oil
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 3/4teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1medium red pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 1package shredded coleslaw
- 1package shredded carrots
- 2tablespoons rice wine or sake
- soy sauce
- 3tablespoons sugar
- 2tablespoons Chineses black vinegar or Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Heat the olive or canola oil and the sesame oil in a wok or a heavy skillet over medium-high heat until hot, but not smoking.
- Add the ginger and red pepper flakes and stir-fry until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Add the diced red pepper and toss lightly over high heat. Add the coleslaw and carrots and toss lightly.
- Add the rice wine, stir, and cover.
- Cook over medium-high heat for a minute or two.
- Uncover and add the Hot and Sour Dressing. Toss lightly for a minute and remove to a serving bowl.
- Serve hot, at room temperature, or cold.
—Reprinted from: Simple Asian Meals © 2012 by Nina Simonds. Permission granted by Rodale, Inc. Available wherever books are sold.