Asian Chicken Salad from the Ocean Reef Club
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 15 mins
- 4 -- chicken breast halves, bone-in and skin on
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup Mirin or rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 2 -- scallions, finely chopped
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1/4 pound rice vermicelli, fried (optional; see instructions)
- Place chicken in large stockpot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat; lower heat, cover and simmer chicken for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and allow chicken to cool in cooking liquid.
- When chicken is cooled, remove from pot. Remove skin and bones and use fingers to shred chicken. (This will produce 3 – 4 cups cooked chicken.) Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, Mirin, garlic, ginger, salt, peanuts, scallions and sesame seeds. Combine well.
- Add chicken to soy sauce mixture and toss well to coat.
- Divide lettuce among 4 serving plates. Top each with ¼ mixture of chicken; then top with fried noodles. Garnish with cilantro and lemon sliced, if desired.
- To fry vermicelli noodles: In medium-size saucepan, warm 2 tablespoons peanut oil. Add noodles in small amounts. Stir fry until light brown and crispy. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
From the Cooking School at the Ocean Reef Club, Miami, Fla.