Arugula Salad with Arils, Persimmons and Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- Yield: 2 to 3 servings
- 2/3cup blanched hazelnuts
- 4teaspoons hazelnut oil
- Juice from 1 large pomegranate or 3 tablespoons pomegranate juice
- 1tablespoon finely diced shalot, plus
- 1tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2teaspoons rice vinegar
- 3tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2small Fuyu persimmons, thinly sliced
- 2small shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/3cup fresh pomegranate arils (1 large pomegranate)
- 1/2 lemon, for juicing
- 1/2pound arugula
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Hazelnuts: Preheat oven to 375F. Spread the hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast 8 to 10 minutes, stirring once or twice, until they smell nutty and are lightly browned. Remove from heat. When the nuts have cooled, coarse-chop them and toss them with 1 teaspoon hazelnut oil and a generous pinch of salt.
- Vinaigrette: Prepare fresh pomegranate juice.* Place the diced shallot, pomegranate juice, both vinegars and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a bowl, and let sit 5 minutes. Whisk in the olive oil and the remaining hazelnut oil. Taste for balance and seasoning.
- Salad: In a large salad bowl, toss the persimmons, sliced shallots and fresh pomegranate arils with the dressing. Season with salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon. Gently toss in the arugula and taste for seasoning. Arrange the salad on a platter, and scatter the hazelnuts over the top.
* For 1/2 cup of juice, cut 1 large POM Wonderful Pomegranate in half and juice it with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour the mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.
Recipe by Chef Suzanne Goin, Lucques, A.O.C. and Tavern Restaurants, Los Angeles / POM Wonderful
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 480
- Fat 37g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 150mg
- Carbohydrate 36g
- Fiber 9g
- Sugars 20g
- Protein 7g