Artichoke, Tomato and Zucchini Frittata
- Yield: 4 to 6 servings
- 4 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 2teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2cup chopped Vidalia or spring green onions
- 1cup chopped zucchini
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1large tomato, chopped
- 1/2cup drained, sliced artichoke hearts
- 1cup cooked pasta such as linguini, spaghetti or angel hair or
- 1cup sliced cooked red bliss potatoes with skin on
- 1/2cup shredded mozzarella
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and basil. Set aside.
- Preheat broiler. In a large nonstick, ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and zucchini; saute 2 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes and artichoke hearts; continue to saute 1 minute. Add the cooked pasta or potatoes and combine well.
- Spread the vegetable mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and tilt the pan so that the egg mixture forms an even layer.
- Cook over medium heat, trying not to disturb the egg mixture, 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture is set; the top will be runny. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese over the top and add the mozzarella cheese, if using.
- Place the pan 3 inches from the broiler element and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the top is golden and set. Cut in wedges and serve hot, at room temperature or chilled.