Artichoke, Tomato and Zucchini Frittata
- Yield 4 to 6 servings
Enjoy this frittata for dinner with some spicy marinara sauce, a field green salad and a glass of pinot noir.
- 4 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 6 to 8 fresh basil leaves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped Vidalia or spring green onions
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup drained, sliced artichoke hearts
- 1 cup cooked pasta such as linguini, spaghetti or angel hair or
- 1 cup sliced cooked red bliss potatoes with skin on
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and basil. Set aside.
- Preheat broiler. In a large nonstick, ovenproof skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and zucchini; saute 2 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes and artichoke hearts; continue to saute 1 minute. Add the cooked pasta or potatoes and combine well.
- Spread the vegetable mixture evenly over the bottom of the pan. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and tilt the pan so that the egg mixture forms an even layer.
- Cook over medium heat, trying not to disturb the egg mixture, 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture is set; the top will be runny. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese over the top and add the mozzarella cheese, if using.
- Place the pan 3 inches from the broiler element and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the top is golden and set. Cut in wedges and serve hot, at room temperature or chilled.