Artichoke, Basil and Mozzarella Bruschetta
- Yield 2 to 4 servings
The perfume of basil, artichokes, tomatoes and red chilies hint at the heady flavors of this easy appetizer.
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped basil leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 loaf French or Italian bread, sliced into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or pre-packaged Italian cheese mixture
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine artichoke hearts, tomatoes, basil, garlic, red pepper flakes, oil and salt in a nonreactive large mixing bowl. Arrange bread slices on a baking pan and divide artichoke mixture among them. Sprinkle each with a little shredded cheese and bake 7 to 8 minutes until lightly browned. Serve immediately.