Apricot-Glazed Apple Kuchen
- Yield 8 servings
Though a classic Kuchen is made with yeast and can be tricky to prepare, this press-in-the-pan dough is a pastry anyone can tackle.
For novice bakers who are hesitant about rolling out pastry, this foolproof press-in-the-pan dough is a lifesaver.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups thinly sliced, peeled apples
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- Whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Sift flour and baking powder onto a piece of waxed or parchment paper. Beat butter, 3/4 cup sugar, egg and vanilla until blended. Gradually add flour mixture and beat evenly blended. Transfer to tart pan; with lightly floured fingers, press evenly on bottom and sides of pan.
- Toss apples with lemon juice in a large bowl. Arrange apples overlapping in concentric circles in pan. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over apples. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Melt preserves in a small saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave on HIGH, stirring at 30-second intervals. Brush over apples and sprinkle almonds in a circle around edge. Serve with whipped cream.