Apricot Crumble Squares
- Yield 48 pieces
The thin cream cheese layer makes these squares rich--but still low in fat.
- 1 (18 1/4-ounce) package light yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 (16-ounce jar apricot preserves, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) package fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 13x9x2-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour.
- Combine yellow cake mix and margarine in a large mixing bowl and beat at low speed with an electric mixer until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup of the crumb mixture. Press remaining crumb mixture into prepared pan. Carefully spread preserves, reserving 1/3 cup, over crumb mixture, leaving a 1/4-inch border.
- In another mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth; add reserved preserves, sugar, flour, egg and vanilla, beating well. Carefully spread cream cheese mixture over top of preserves. Add almonds to the reserved crumbs and sprinkle over cream cheese mixture. Bake 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown and center is set. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares and refrigerate.