Apricot Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Yield: 12 to 15 servings
- 2 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1cup sugar
- 3/4cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 3/4cup sour cream
- 2-- eggs
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1cup apricot preserves
- 1/2cup chopped pecans
- Combine the flour and sugar in a large mixer bowl. Add the butter. Beat at low speed until mixed, scraping the bowl occasionally. Remove and reserve 1 1/4 cups of this mixture. Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, sour cream, eggs, vanilla and cream cheese to the remaining flour mixture and mix well. Spread in a greased 9×13-inch baking pan. Spoon the preserves over the top. Sprinkle with the reserved flour mixture and the pecans. Bake at 350F for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm.
- For Raspberry Almond Coffee Cake, substitute almond extract for the vanilla, raspberry preserves for the apricot and sliced almonds for the pecans.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Favorite Recipes from the Black Forest Inn’s Black Hills Treasures (Black Forest Inn, Rapid City, South Dakota, 2002).