Apricot Almond Cake
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 25 mins
This old-fashioned snacking cake is chock-full of apricots and almonds.
When in season, substitute 6 to 8 fresh apricots, pitted and cut in half, for the canned fruit. We couldnt resist adding almonds to this moist, tender cake.
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup 2 percent low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14-ounce) can apricot halves, drained
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 11-by-7-inch pan.
- Cream together butter and 1/2 cup sugar. Whisk egg, milk and almond extract together.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Alternately add flour mixture and egg mixture to butter mixture, blending well. Pour batter into pan. Top with apricot halves. Combine almonds with remaining 1/4 cup sugar; sprinkle over cake batter. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top is brown.
Recipe by Sylvia Randolph. Adapted from Sylvia’s Sunday Dinners (Good Goods, Gallery of American Craft, 106 Mason St., Saugatuck, Mich., 49453).