Apricot Breakfast Bread
- Yield 1 loaf servings
Makes a great breakfast bread.
- 1 cup chopped dried apricots
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 -- egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Soak the apricots in the orange juice in a bowl for 30 minutes.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a separate bowl and mix well. Cut in the shortening until crumbly.
- Add the apricot mixture and egg, stirring just until moistened. Add additional orange juice if needed for the desired consistency.
- Fold in the nuts and spoon into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Mackinac Island Medical Center, The Flavors of Mackinac (Mackinac Island Medical Center, 1997)