Apricot and Lamb Tagine
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 250 mins
This slow-cooked Moroccan stew is perfect for wintry nights.
Dried apricots add vitamin A and beta-carotene to this slow cooked Moroccan stew.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 pounds boneless leg of lamb, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 cup dried apricots (about 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions; saute 5 minutes.
- Add lamb; cook, stirring occasionally, until pieces are no longer pink, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer lamb mixture to slow-cooker; add turmeric, ginger, coriander, cinnamon, salt, pepper and allspice. Pour in broth. Stir in chickpeas, apricots and honey.
- Cover and cook on medium 4 hours. Serves 6.
Recipe by Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough.