Apricot- and Blueberry-Stuffed French Toast
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1cup sliced fresh or canned apricots
- 1cup fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed and drained on paper towels
- 2tablespoons sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 3 eggs
- 2/3cup half-and-half
- 2tablespoons honey
- 2teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) butter, divided
- 12slices thick white bread
- 3/4cup vanilla yogurt, optional
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Combine apricots, blueberries and sugar in a small bowl. Combine cream cheese and preserves in a medium microwave-safe bowl and heat on High for 30 to 40 seconds to soften cream cheese and slightly melt preserves. Whisk until well blended.
- Whisk eggs until well blended. Add cream, honey and vanilla; mix well. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over half the bread slices and top with remaining slices. Dip each into egg mixture, turning to coat well.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook half the sandwiches until golden, about 2 minutes per each side. Place on an ovenproof platter and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Top each serving with fruit and yogurt, if using.
—Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho