Applesauce Nut Bread
- Yield 20 servings
A sweet cinnamon bread with walnut pieces
"I received this recipe for applesauce nut bread twenty-eight years ago from a coworker. Ever since then I've made it every Christmas to give to my family and friends."
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup, plus 1 tablespoon, granulated sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups walnut halves
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two two 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pans.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. Mix 1 cup granulated sugar with applesauce, eggs, oil and milk in a small bowl; add to flour mixture and mix well. Stir in walnuts.
- Spoon into pans. Mix brown sugar with the remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, and sprinkle evenly over tops of loaves. Bake about 1 hour, until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover loaves with foil for the final 30 minutes of baking if they begin to get too brown. Makes 2 loaves
– Jeanette Hoagland, McHenry, Ill.