Applesauce Cake – No Eggs
- Yield 12 pieces
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 30 mins
Developed during World War II because it did not contain eggs, was easily shipped and wouldn't spoil. Long lasting.
- 1 1/2 cups heated applesauce
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups California Raisins
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a Bundt pan.
- Heat applesauce until warm. Add shortening. Stir until well blended. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, until done. Let cool slightly in pan, then turn onto a serving plate.
Note: Cake keeps well, is very moist and no refrigeration is necessary.
Recipe by Virginia Wilbur, Salisbury, N.C.