Applesauce Bread Pudding
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 35 mins
Raisins, applesauce and cinnamon are main ingredients in this pudding.
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf sliced light-style white bread
- 1 cup California raisins
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup applesauce
- 8 egg whites
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cut sliced bread into 1/2-inch cubes. Toss with raisins and cinnamon in a large bowl. In another bowl, beat together milk, applesauce, egg whites, sugar and vanilla. Pour mixture over bread cubes and let stand 25 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350F. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pour bread mixture into prepared pan and bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. Let cool 15 to 20 minutes and serve.
Recipe courtesy of The Best of Food Digest, a Reader’s Digest Cookbook and the California Raisin Marketing Board