Apple Walnut Corn Muffins
- Yield 10 servings
Walnuts are full of heart-healthy omega-3s and provide a nice crunch to contrast the chewy apple chunks.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup flour, preferably spelt flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk, rice milk or soy milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 apple, diced
- 1/2 cup walnut, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425F. Grease a muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate medium mixing bowl, whisk together the vanilla, milk and oil.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring to combine, but be careful not to over beat the mixture. Add the apples and walnuts and stir them into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the greased muffin tins. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown.