Apple Tofu Salad
- Yield 6 servings
Apple bits, green beans and tofu create a stunner of a salad.
Mashed tofu (shira-ae) can be mixed with a variety of spring vegetables, like carrots and spinach. This salad has crunchy sweet bites of apple and barely cooked green beans.
- 1 (12-ounce) block firm tofu
- 2 ounces French green beans (haricots verts)
- 1 apple, cored
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 6 Romaine lettuce leaves
- Cut block of tofu into halves lengthwise. Place on several layers of paper towels; cover with additional paper towels and a heavy skillet. Let stand 30 minutes, pressing down occasionally.
- Place green beans in boiling water and cook 1 minute. Remove from water and place in a bowl of ice water to stop cooking. Pat dry and cut into 1/4-inch dice. Dice apples and place in a bowl of salted water so they won’t brown.
- Combine drained tofu, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce and mustard in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Drain apples and combine with green beans and tofu mixture. Stir well. Spoon into Romaine leaves and place on salad plates.
Recipe adapted from Satoshi Iida, Doraku Restaurant, Kyoto, Japan