Apple, Sun-Dried Cranberry and Pecan Pie
- Yield 8 servings
Try this delicious pie starring apples, cranberries and pecans.
- Crumb Mixture:
- 3 tablespoons whole-wheat or unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup coarse-chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter or soy margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pie Pastry:
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached white or whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter or soy margarine, cut into small pieces
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- Apple Filling:
- 4 large apples, peeled, cored, quartered and each quarter cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup sun-dried cranberries, rehydrated **
- To make Crumb Mixture: Combine all ingredients with 2 forks or your fingertips until a crumbly mixture forms. Set aside.
- To make Pie Pastry: Combine flour and salt. Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut in the butter or margarine until a crumbly mixture forms. Gradually add the ice water and mix with hands until the dough forms into a ball; mixture should not be sticky but grainy. Wrap pastry in a plastic bag and chill 1 hour.
- Roll out pastry dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle 16 inches in diameter. Roll pastry circle around your rolling pin and transfer to a baking sheet with sides or a 9-inch pie pan. Preheat the oven to 450F.
- To fill: Arrange the apples in the middle of the flat dough circle or the dough-lined pan. Sprinkle the sun-dried cranberries on top, cover with the Crumb Mixture. Fold the edge of the dough up over the apple mixture, forming pleats over the fruit.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the apples are tender and the Crumb Mixture is golden and bubbling. If the crust appears to be browning to quickly, cover edges lightly with foil.