- Crumb Mixture:
- 3tablespoons whole-wheat or unbleached white flour
- 1/2cup coarse-chopped pecans
- 1/4cup plus 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2tablespoons chilled butter or soy margarine, cut into small pieces
- 1/4teaspoon allspice
- 1/2teaspoon cinnamon
- Pie Pastry:
- 1 1/4cups unbleached white or whole-wheat flour
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 4tablespoons butter or soy margarine, cut into small pieces
- 4 to 5tablespoons ice water
- Apple Filling:
- 4large apples, peeled, cored, quartered and each quarter cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2cup sun-dried cranberries, rehydrated **
- To make Crumb Mixture: Combine all ingredients with 2 forks or your fingertips until a crumbly mixture forms. Set aside.
- To make Pie Pastry: Combine flour and salt. Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut in the butter or margarine until a crumbly mixture forms. Gradually add the ice water and mix with hands until the dough forms into a ball; mixture should not be sticky but grainy. Wrap pastry in a plastic bag and chill 1 hour.
- Roll out pastry dough on a lightly floured surface into a circle 16 inches in diameter. Roll pastry circle around your rolling pin and transfer to a baking sheet with sides or a 9-inch pie pan. Preheat the oven to 450F.
- To fill: Arrange the apples in the middle of the flat dough circle or the dough-lined pan. Sprinkle the sun-dried cranberries on top, cover with the Crumb Mixture. Fold the edge of the dough up over the apple mixture, forming pleats over the fruit.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the apples are tender and the Crumb Mixture is golden and bubbling. If the crust appears to be browning to quickly, cover edges lightly with foil.
**To rehydrate sun-dried cranberries: Cover with boiling water and let sit 10 minutes; drain.
blog comments powered by
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 318
- Fat 14g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 255mg
- Carbohydrate 47g
- Protein 3g