Apple-Smothered Pork Chops
- Yield 6 servings
Your family will love the combination of flavors in this easy-to-make dish.
- 6 -- pork loin chops
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- -- Vegetable oil
- 3 -- tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F. Season each chop with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon sage. In a skillet, slowly brown chops on both sides in a small amount of oil. Place chops in a baking dish, reserving drippings in skillet. Arrange apple slices on chops. Pour molasses over apples. Sprinkle flour over drippings in skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until brown. Slowly add water and stir until smooth. Bring to a boil. Stir in vinegar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and raisins. Cover and bake 1 hour.
Recipe reprinted with permission from St. Andrew’s School’sFirst Come First Served, In Savannah (St. Andrew’s School, Savannah, Georgia, 2001).