Apple-Sausage Pancakes with Apple Syrup
- Yield 4 servings
"These pancakes are a real crowd-pleaser at breakfast or at dinner. Initially, this recipe did not appeal to me. But as they say, 'The proof is in the eating.'"
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup apple juice or apple cider
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1 cup complete pancake mix (requires only water to be added)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup peeled and shredded apples
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage, browned, drained, and crumbled
- Mix the sugar, cornstarch, spice, apple and lemon juices, and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat. Continue simmering while preparing the pancakes.
- Preheat a griddle to 350 degrees. Mix the egg, pancake mix, milk, oil, and cinnamon. Fold in the apples and browned sausage. Fry on the griddle until the first side is brown. Fry the other side until the center is cooked through. Serve with the warm apple syrup.
—Beth Conrad, Valley City, Ohio