Apple-Sausage Pancakes with Apple Syrup
- Yield: 4 servings
"These pancakes are a real crowd-pleaser at breakfast or at dinner. Initially, this recipe did not appeal to me. But as they say, 'The proof is in the eating.'"
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1cup apple juice or apple cider
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 3tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 1cup complete pancake mix (requires only water to be added)
- 2/3cup milk
- 2tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2teaspoon cinnamon
- 1cup peeled and shredded apples
- 1/2pound bulk pork sausage, browned, drained, and crumbled
- Mix the sugar, cornstarch, spice, apple and lemon juices, and butter in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat. Continue simmering while preparing the pancakes.
- Preheat a griddle to 350 degrees. Mix the egg, pancake mix, milk, oil, and cinnamon. Fold in the apples and browned sausage. Fry on the griddle until the first side is brown. Fry the other side until the center is cooked through. Serve with the warm apple syrup.
—Beth Conrad, Valley City, Ohio