- Yield 6 to 8
This Apple Sangria is a great way to incorporate fresh fruit into a fun cocktail.
For a healthier (or kid-friendly) twist, try the mock version.
- 1/4 cup calvados (apple brandy)
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 5 cups apple juice or cider, chilled
- 1 medium crisp apple, such as Crispin, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 2/3 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/2 cup white or red seedless grapes, cut into halves
- 1 (750-ml) bottle extra-dry Cava, Spanish sparking wine, or white Rioja, chilled
- Ice cubes
- Stir together calvados and brown sugar in large pitcher until brown sugar is dissolved. Stir in apple juice, apple, strawberries and grapes. If desired, cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours.
- Just before serving, add sparkling wine; gently stir. Pour over ice into glasses.
Mock Fresh Apple Sangria: Prepare sangria as directed above, except omit the calvados and brown sugar, use 3 1/2 cup apple juice plus 1 1/2 cups club soda, and substitute 1 (25 1/2-ounce) bottle non-alcoholic sparkling apple cider for the Cava.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Apple Association