Apple Rum Cake with Raisins
- Yield 16 servings
A wonderful aroma fills your house when this delicious cake is baking.
- 3/4 cup dark rum
- 4 cups apples, chopped and peeled
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice or cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 -- eggs, beaten
- 1 cup raisins
- -- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- -- Whipped cream (optional)
- Pour the rum over the apples in a bowl, tossing to mix.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, apple pie spice and salt together.
- Beat the sugar, oil and eggs in a mixer bowl until blended. Stir in half the dry ingredients.
- Stir the raisins into the apple mixture. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix well. Stir into the egg mixture. Spoon into a 9×13-inch cake pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/4 hours. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.
NOTE: Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Buffalo, Great Lake Effects, Buffalo Beyond Winter and Wings (The Junior League of Buffalo, Inc., 1997).