Apple Raisin Chutney-Filled Brie (Sev Paneer)
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 40 mins
Puff pastry, savory California raisins, creamy Brie and sweet sun-dried tomatoes.
- California Raisin Chutney:
- 1 (15-ounce) package California golden raisins
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger root
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 (8-ounce) wheel Brie (plain)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Granny Smith apples
- 1/3 cup California Raisin Chutney (above)
- 1 (12-inch) square thawed, frozen puff pastry
- 1 large lightly beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- California Raisin Chutney: Soak California golden raisins in lukewarm water for 30 minutes, until they are plump. In a spice or a coffee grinder, grind black peppercorns and cumin and fennel seeds. Set aside. In a food processor, coarsely chop soaked California golden raisins.
- In a medium saucepan, heat California golden raisins, gingerroot, garlic, sugar and vinegar on medium-high for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and cook on medium heat about 10 minutes until syrup is thick and sticks to the spoon. Store Chutney in jars and refrigerate.
- Brie: Heat oven to 375F. Scoop out center portion of Brie and discard; smooth out bottom. In small mixing bowl, combine apples and chutney. Spoon into center of Brie. On lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry into 12-inch circle. Place Brie in center and lift pastry sheet edges to form a “twist tie.” Pinch off excess dough and gently smooth ends for finished appearance. Combine egg and water to make egg wash. Brush pastry liberally. Bake on ungreased baking dish 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.