Apple Molasses Bran Muffins
- Yield 12 servings
Golden delicious apples, raisins and walnuts provide textures to these harvest muffins, and the bran adds extra fiber.
Brown sugar and molasses incorporate a sweetness that is dark, slightly spicy and quintessentially autumn. Health is kicked up a notch as bran adds extra fiber, and substituting apple sauce for butter lowers the fat in this delectable breakfast bread.
- 1/2 cup applesauce with 1 apple, cored, diced and mixed in
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup miller’s bran*
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Prepare a 12 cup muffin tin with a layer of butter or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, mix together the applesauce and brown sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, yogurt and molasses until all are well incorporated. Stir in the raisins and chopped walnuts.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and bran. Add the flour mixture to the yogurt apple mixture and stir the batter until it is just combined, but still lumpy.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the 12 prepared muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the muffins are golden brown and spring to the touch. Turn the muffins out onto a rack and let cool.
* Found at natural food stores, health food stores and in the grain or cereal section of most supermarkets.