Apple Stuffed Chicken
- Yield: 4 servings
- Crispy Sage:
- 1/3cup vegetable oil
- 8whole sage leaves
- pinch kosher salt
- 2teaspoons butter
- 2/3cup peeled and coarsely grated Granny Smith apple
- 1/8teaspoon plus 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1teaspoon minced fresh sage
- 1/8teaspoon black pepper
- 2tablespoons chopped pecans
- 4-- boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, 5 ounces each
- 4-- inch by 4 inch) pieces Gruyere cheese
- 2large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2/3cup panko crumbs
- 1/4cup ground Parmesan cheese
- Cider Sauce:
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1tablespoon minced shallots
- 1/3cup chicken broth
- 1/3cup unfiltered apple cider
- 1/4teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1tablespoon cornstarch
- 3tablespoons cold water
- -- Apples and fresh sage, for garnish
To make the crispy sage, heat oil in a medium saucepan until it reaches 360 degrees. Add the sage leaves a few a time and cook for 3 to 5 seconds or until crisp. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt. Set aside.
Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium heat until melted. Add the apple, 1/8 teaspoon salt, sage, pepper, and pecans and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 8 minutes or until apples are softened. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Pound chicken breasts to about 1/4 inch thickness and sprinkle evenly with 3/4 teaspoon salt. Place one piece of cheese on the short end of each chicken breast. Top each with an equal amount of the cooled apple mixture. Roll up chicken, enclosing cheese and apple mixture and tucking ends under if necessary. Place beaten eggs in a shallow dish. In another shallow dish, combine the whole wheat crumbs, panko and Parmesan cheese. Dredge chicken pieces first in egg and then in the crumb mixture, pressing so crumbs adhere. Place chicken seam sides down on a no-stick foil-lined baking sheet and bake in a 400 degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
To make the cider sauce, heat the butter in a skillet over medium heat until hot. Add the shallots and cook just until they are translucent. Whisk in the broth, cider and salt and heat to boiling. Stir together the cornstarch and cold water and whisk into the sauce. Return to a boil and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Keep warm.
Place chicken on a platter. Top with some of the sauce and the crispy sage. Serve extra sauce on the side; garnish platter with apples and fresh sage.
Makes 4 servings