- Yield 12 servings
This dense, not-too-sweet cake is finished off with a drizzle of honey and fresh lemon juice. It's perfect for brown bag lunches.
- cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup light molasses
- 1/2 cup lowfat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples (Fuji or Gala), grated with skin
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts (optional)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a round 9-inch layer cake pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (flour through salt) in a medium mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Combine molasses, buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla. Add molasses mixture to flour mixture, stirring gently. Add apples and nuts, if using; mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Combine honey and lemon juice. Heat in a microwave until warm. Poke holes evenly in the top of cake. Drizzle honey mixture over cake. Cut in wedges and serve warm.