Apple Dumpling Pie
- Yield 8 servings
A sweet and buttery apple pie to share with family and friends.
"My mother loved to bake. She baked love into her delicious apple dumplings so I created a pie that combines her filling with an easy-to-make no-roll pie crust from my sister."
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 8 cups thinly sliced, peeled, tart baking apples (about 7 apples)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, oil, and milk. Press into an 8-inch deep-dish pie pan.
- For the filling, toss the apples in the sugar and flour. Place in the piecrust, and dot with the butter.
- For the topping, combine the flour and sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Spread evenly over the apples. Cover the pie lightly with foil, and bake for 25 to 35 minutes. Remove the foil, and continue baking for 15 minutes longer.
—Christine Mauch, American Falls, Idaho