Apple Dumpling Pie
- Yield: 8 servings
"My mother loved to bake. She baked love into her delicious apple dumplings so I created a pie that combines her filling with an easy-to-make no-roll pie crust from my sister."
- 1 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2tablespoons sugar
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup vegetable oil
- 2tablespoons milk
- 8cups thinly sliced, peeled, tart baking apples (about 7 apples)
- 1cup sugar
- 2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup sugar
- 1/2cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine the flour, sugar, salt, oil, and milk. Press into an 8-inch deep-dish pie pan.
- For the filling, toss the apples in the sugar and flour. Place in the piecrust, and dot with the butter.
- For the topping, combine the flour and sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Spread evenly over the apples. Cover the pie lightly with foil, and bake for 25 to 35 minutes. Remove the foil, and continue baking for 15 minutes longer.
—Christine Mauch, American Falls, Idaho