- Yield 6 to 8 servings
"This recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law in 1949. I have used it so much the card is soiled, and I have taped it together in several places. I want to keep the original card for my children."
- 6 large apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Spread apples in pan. Top with granulated sugar and sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon.
- Mix together flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter using a pastry cutter or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal. Spread over apples.
- Bake 1 hour. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Recipe by Pat Gore, Grain Valley, Mo.