Apple Cream Pie
- Yield 8 servings
"This is my all-time favorite pie to make. It's requested at every family picnic I go to, plus I am asked to make a few extras for others to take home. Try it — it could become your favorite pie."
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups finely chopped apples
- 1 frozen 9-inch deep-dish pie shell, thawed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- To prepare the filling, combine the cream cheese, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Add the sugar and flour; beat until well blended. Stir in the apples and mix thoroughly. Pour the apple mixture into the pie shell and bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 325F. and bake 30 minutes longer.
- To prepare the topping, combine the sugar, flour, butter, and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Using two knives or a pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles pea-size crumbs.
- Remove the pie from the oven and sprinkle evenly with the topping. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until lightly golden.
Recipe by Gina Kendall, Taylorsville, Ky.