Apple-Cranberry Crumb Pie
- Yield: 10 servings
"This dessert is a great finale to a pork roast dinner."—Michele Stuart
- 1 (9-inch) piecrust, store-bought or your favorite crust recipe
- 2tablespoons heavy cream (to glaze the crimped pie edges)
- 3/4cup sugar
- 2tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1dash ground nutmeg
- 8 medium apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2/3cup dried cranberries
- 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 5tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Brush edges of piecrust with heavy cream to create a golden brown finish.
- To prepare the filling, whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a small bowl.
- Place apples in a large bowl and toss with the sugar mixture, making sure all of apples are thoroughly coated. Add dried cranberries, mixing well. Place apple mixture in the piecrust, distributing evenly.
- To prepare the topping, combine all ingredients, except butter, in a small bowl. Mix well. Add butter, and using two knives, cut in butter until mixture forms small pea-size pieces. Sprinkle over filling, covering it completely.
- Place pie plate on a baking sheet and bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375F and continue baking 40 minutes, or until apples are tender. Insert a cake tester or a knife into the pie to check the firmness of the apples. If the apples are still firm, continue baking until they soften. If topping is getting too brown and apples are not done yet, cover pie with aluminum foil to allow apples to bake a bit longer.
- Transfer pie to a wire rack and let cool 1½ hours before serving.
- Apple pies are best served either at room temperature or warmed at 350F for about 10 minutes. Apple-Cranberry Crumb Pie will keep at room temperature overnight and can be stored in the refrigerator up to four days.
Reprinted with permission from Michele Stuart’s Perfect Pies (Ballantine, 2011).
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 341
- Fat 12g
- Cholesterol 214mg
- Sodium 174mg
- Carbohydrate 58g
- Fiber 2g
- Protein 2g