Apple Coffee Cake
- Yield 12 servings
This coffee cake studded with apples makes a great snack or dessert.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups chopped peeled apples
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cream butter at medium speed in mixer bowl until light. Add 2 cups sugar gradually, beating constantly until fluffy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to creamed mixture; mix well. Stir in apples and vanilla.
- Spoon into greased and floured 9×13-inch baking pan. Sprinkle with mixture of 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake at 350F for 45 minutes. Serve warm.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Wheeling’sThe Best of Wheeling (Wheeling, West Virginia, 1994).