- 3medium apples, quartered (no need to core or seed them)
- 1cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2cup turbinado sugar
- 1tablespoon cardamom seeds, lightly crushed
- Using a box grater or a food processor, shred apples.
- Add shredded apples, cider vinegar, sugar, and cardamom to a stainless steel container. Cover and leave in cool place on the countertop for up to 2 days.
- After 2 days, place a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl. Strain apple mixture. Squeeze or press mixture to remove any remaining liquid.
- Pour liquid into a clean mason jar or glass bottle. Add lid or cap and then shake well to combine. Place in refrigerator.
- Discard solids.
- Shrub will keep for up to 1 year.
Excerpted from Shurbs: An Old-Fashioned Drink for Modern Times, 2014 by Michael Dietsch. Reproduced by permission of The Countryman Press.