- Yield 10 to 12 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 40 mins
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped Granny Smith apples
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan.
- Combine flour, salt, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, sugar and oil in a large bowl; mix well. Remove 3/4 cup of mixture, and to it add nuts and remaining cinnamon. Mix well, and set aside to use as topping.
- To the remaining mixture, add baking powder and baking soda, egg and buttermilk; mix well (batter will be lumpy). Fold in apples.
- Pour batter into pan. Sprinkle topping evenly over surface. Bake 40 to 45 minutes.
Recipe adapted with permission from Morning Food: Breakfasts, Brunches, & More for Savoring the Best Part of the Day by Margaret Fox and John Bear. (Ten Speed Press, 2006) http://www.tenspeed.com