Sour Cream Apple Cake with Salted Caramel Sauce
- Butter for greasing pan
- 3cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting pan
- 1/2cup vegetable oil
- 1cup sour cream, room temperature
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon cinnamon
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1teaspoon vanilla
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 1/2cup brown sugar, packed
- 3cups apples (preferably tart like Honeycrisp or Granny Smith), peeled, cored and chopped into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1cup pecans or walnuts, roughly chopped
- cup toffee or butterscotch chips
- Salted Caramel Sauce for drizzling, optional (recipe linked below)
- Vanilla ice cream, creme fraiche, or whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a 9-inch tube pan. Beat the oil, sour cream and sugars together in a mixer (fitted with a paddle attachment) for about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating each until creamy. Add vanilla and beat for anther minute.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour and cinnamon, salt and baking soda and whisk to combine. Add to the wet ingredients, beating on low speed just until combined. With a rubber spatula, fold in apples, nuts and toffee chips until they are dispersed evenly. Don’t over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and set on a cooling rack on the counter. Allow cake to cool in pan.
- Once cake is completely cool, turn it out onto a serving plate. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar. Slice and serve with ice cream, whipped cream or creme fraiche and a drizzle of Salted Caramel Sauce, if desired.
This recipe was from Nerds with Knives for Honest Cooking was republished with permission. It originally appeared as Toffee-Apple Sour Cream Cake (With a Salted Caramel Drizzle).